Hrruagh! (Translation: Come get some!)Pre-Match quote
Firebrand, known as Red Arremer in Japan, is the main character of Gargoyle's Quest, a spin-off of the Ghosts 'n Goblins series by Capcom. He is an elite warrior among the Red Arremers, a race of gargoyle-like demons. He is on a mission to eradicate any threat posed to his home, the Demon Village.
Firebrand is a red, gargoyle-like demon with wings that have spikes portruding from the top. His wings are dark blue with a silver lining. He wears silver bands on his wrists and ankles. His hands and feet have powerful claws, and he has sharp teeth in his mouth. His pointy ears extend upward.
Malevolent and cunning, Firebrand is fueled by his patriotism to the Makai and his love for battle. He gladly serves the devil Astaroth without any moral problems and enjoys hunting down and killing would-be heroes like Arthur. However, he takes deep pride in protecting his realm from tyrants like Breager.
Firebrand has many powers and abilities, including:
- Fire manipulation
- Flight using wings
- Sharp claws and teeth
- Transformation into White Form (also called Stone Form) with stronger and faster attacks
- Loyalty of Red Arremer forces
Firebrand's ending involves him now on the throne of Astaroth and commanding his forces. On the throne, he sees Arthur ready to hunt him down via crystal ball.
Firebrand is a character quick on his feet with attacks that usually motion him forward quickly. In the air, he is a true monster, attacking enemies airborne with extendable combos and thanks to his Hell Spitfire, Assists work well with him. Firebrand is also one of the few characters in the game whose enhancing Hyper allows him to build meter while active, allowing him to make extensive use of his Hyper Combos.
Theme Songs Edit
- His character theme is a remix of the intro screen music from the first Gargoyle's Quest.
- One of his winquotes references Gargoyle's Quest: "Ki ki ki kiah!" (translates to "I am the Red Blaze of the Red Arremers!")
- Similarly, after a win, Doctor Strange comments: "This gargoyle's quest has failed."
- His intro is a reference to his appearance in Ghouls and Ghosts.
- Firebrand's Dark Fire hyper and wall cling are both abilities he has in the Gargoyle's Quest series. The heavy version of Demon Missile is a reference to the Red Arremer's signature swooping attack in all the Ghosts 'N Goblins games.
- His Luminous Body hyper references a rather obscure ability of the Red Arremers in the first Ghosts 'N Goblins: If the player takes too long to defeat an Arremer, his skin turns grey/white and he becomes faster and more aggressive.
- Firebrand was announced alongside Ghost Rider, Hawkeye, and Strider Hiryu.
- A Red Arremer is visible in the background of the Demon Village stage, watching the battle, and flying after it when it floats too far away. The Red Arremer is still there when Firebrand is in play and Firebrand appears much bigger, leading to the fact that it's just a regular Red Arremer from Arthur's games.
- Firebrand is visible alongside Lord Raptor, Akuma, and Wesker in Dormammu's ending in the original Marvel vs. Capcom 3, where Dormammu takes advantage of the dimensional rift to collect followers of darkness to serve him.
- At the start of, and after fights, Firebrand's quotes only appear in subtitles, as he only cackles and makes demonic noises.
- If character rivalries are still in question, Firebrand would be paired with Ghost Rider. Firebrand is a demon who serves the devil, and Ghost Rider is a spirit of Vengeance who serves the innocent.
- A Red Arremer also appears in the fighting game SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom as a boss and a playable character. His movesets (safe for his Hell Spitfire (formerly dubbed Fireball)) has been drastically changed since his SvC appearances.
- Firebrand is not much different from a regular Red Arremer, except for size and different head in comparison with the Demon Village stage's Red Arremer. In Gargoyle's Quest, he was originally green with a covering robe, but according to Capcom, he was shown green due to the Game Boy showing nothing but green if no color was on any spot. By the time Gargoyle's Quest II was revealed, Firebrand was changed to the color scheme of a regular Red Arremer and lost his clothing.
- Like Amaterasu in the voice gallery, Firebrand's "dialogue" is labeled as Japanese.
- Despite never appearing in the Ghosts 'n Goblins series, the game usually shown as his first game is Ghosts 'n Goblins