Avengers, Defenders, Thunderbolts, I make any team better!Hawkeye
Hawkeye, real name Clint Barton, is a character from the Avengers series by Marvel Comics. He is an expert marksman and master archer, and a member of the East Coast and West Coast branches of the Avengers.
Underneath his costume, Hawkeye has blonde hair and blue eyes. His classic costume has a purple cowl with eyes resembling Wolverine's mask, and a giant "H" on his forehead. His shirt is sleeveless but has a few armbands. Most of his costume resembles a typical superhero jumpsuit, but it includes large pieces of cloth from his torso reaching past it below his belt. His boots are cuffed at the tops like Captain America. On his back, Hawkeye carries a quiver full of many trick arrows. His new costume ditches the cowl for a pair of shades, and the suit is now black with purple details, including a downward-pointing arrow motif at the chest.
Hawkeye is naturally rebellious and confrontational. These qualities have often put him at odds with his fellow Avengers, but he usually sets aside these differences to operate more smoothly in battle. Hawkeye can seem overconfident and brash, but as his in-game quote says "You're not brash if you can back it up." This quote may just reinforce his reputation as brash. He is quick to anger, and always voices his opinion, even when it may have negative consequences. During his happier times, he enjoys joking around in battle, poking fun at his allies and enemies alike.
Hawkeye does not possess any true superpowers, but his abilities far surpass the average human, such as:
- Superb aiming skills, almost never missing
- Keen eyesight
- Skilled with a bow and arrow
- Proficient in other weapons, but prefers bow and arrow
- Professional-level acrobat
- Trained martial artist
- Makes use of special arrows of varying properties
Hawkeye's role in the story primarily takes place in the Avengers Tower. Prior to this, he was with the heroes taking down Xgardians and Ultron Drones in XGard, and competed with Dante on who could take the most down.
Hawkeye can fill the screen with projectiles to keep out even the best of rushdown. He has all the tools a keepaway character could want, ranging from angled shots, projectile normal attacks, and a tracking arrow hyper, making him one of the best zoners in the game. Not only are his arrows quick, but they also have OTG properties. What separates him from similar characters are that his arrows possess special status effects, such as causing major hitstun or even inflicting poison. In addition, his melee normals are all very solid. At a range, hes a menace, but up close, he can combo with the best of them.
Theme Songs Edit
- One of his intros has references to The Defenders and Thunderbolts, two teams he served on in the past.
- Hawkeye mentions "Cap's Kooky Quartet", the nickname for the Avengers after their first big roster shake-up, in his special intro against Captain America (both of them were part of this team, alongside Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, Magneto's children).
- He also mocks Iron Man over Force Works, a team he headed in the mid-90s.
- His victory quote against C. Viper compares her unfavorably to Black Widow
- Hawkeye was announced alongside Ghost Rider, Firebrand, and Strider Hiryu.
- Hawkeye (like Thor) counts as an Avenger when teamed with Captain America and/or Iron Man for their respective pre-match Avenger battle cries.
- After defeating Wolverine, Hawkeye says "You fight like an old man, Logan." This is a reference to the alternate universe "Old Man Logan" storyline, in which Wolverine, becoming a pacifist after all villains teamed up to kill most heroes, is brought back into action by an older, blinded Hawkeye.
- Hawkeye's rival in Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite appears to be Dante (As both were seen fighting in the MVCI variant cover comic for Hawkeye Vol 5. #9). Both are wisecracking combatants who love taunting their opponents and have an affinity for projectiles. Both were also competing with each other in the beginning of story mode.