Resistance is futile. Accept your extermination.Sentinel
The Sentinel is a character from the Marvel. Sentinels are robots designed to hunt mutants. They can fire laser blasts from their palms specifically designed to damage mutants.series by
The Sentinel that appears in the series has the model number COTA-94, debuting as a playable character in X-Men: Children of the Atom. It reappeared in Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes, Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds and Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. It is a secret assist character in Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes.
The Sentinel's appearance is based on themodel from the comics. It has a metallic body with a pink torso, face, and boots, and a blue helmet, legs, and arm joints.
Though Sentinels are constantly being updated with new weapons and abilities, all models maintain the following abilities:
- Darts: Sentinels carry ten steel javelin-like darts on the trunk that can be thrown to pierce an opponent.
- Electric Insulation: Sentinels are especially protected against electric attacks.
- Encephalo-Scanner: Sentinels are equipped with a scanner to read the brainwaves of a target and determine if it was telling the truth. This device is not infallible.
- Energy Blast: Sentinels have various types of energy projectiles, including but not limited to plasma, electrons, stunners and heat, that could be shot from their chest or hands. They are also armed with a disintegrator that only affects inorganic matter.
- Flight: Rocket jets built into their feet and hands allow for high-speed flight.
- Learning Program: A special learning program allows Sentinels a certain advantage when fighting an enemy, but only after at least some seconds of analysis. This data can be stored for future uses against the same enemy, so that any Sentinel from any model can access the information. Any needed modification takes at least one week. In the 21st century, data on all known mutants, living or dead, is stored for quick reference.
- Mutant Detection: Sentinels constantly scan all living beings in their immediate area and are able to determine if they are humans or mutants. The "immediate area" can cover up to ten miles.
- Robot: Due to their nature, Sentinels are protected by the sheer strength of their hull. They cannot be affected by emotional or mental attacks, nor by illusions. However, they are susceptible to attacks affecting machinery.
- Super Strength: Sentinels are known to lift at least seventy tons.
- Self-Repair: Sentinels are able to repair themselves with a built-in repair kit, provided there are sufficient materials nearby to effect repairs.
In addition, some Sentinels are manufactured for a leader-type role, being much more intelligent than other Sentinels and able to learn, adapt to, and counteract the tactics and powers used by mutants to a highly developed, near instantaneous degree.
The Sentinel is presented as one of the game's villains, although it is not directly working with Magneto. In the ending, the Sentinel attempts to capture Magneto, but the mutant sets his station Avalon into self-destruct, preferring to die than to let a "twisted human tool" to get him. The robot escapes the exploding station and, with Magneto presumed dead, continues with its protocol to exterminate all mutants.
The Sentinel leads an army of Sentinels and personally takes down Storm, then returns to base for repairs. Once all mutants are eliminated, the Sentinel initiates a new program to control humans as a way to prevent a resurgence of mutants.
The Sentinel displays an update of its current situation. It has analyzed a lot about the "Galactus element", and has enumerated the targets it has neutralized, including Dan. The Sentinel then says that the time when the extermination of the human population will be favorable is in 7 days.
True to its mutant-hunting design, the Sentinel is a lumbering engine of destruction. Although a patch later greatly reduced the Sentinel's health, it retains the highest damage-per-hit rating of any MvC3 character.
With its array of highly damaging projectiles and Level 1 Hyper Combos that can be used repeatedly and in quick succession, the Sentinel excels when using a keep-away strategy. However, the Sentinel also performs well at maintaining pressure against rushdown characters with constant air combos, even if they manage to close the distance. Its launcher attack is very damaging and has a long horizontal reach; once the Sentinel is in the air, its high damage-per-hit rating is put to good use, with a mere three or four normal hits taking large amounts of an opponent's health, all in addition to an aerial Rocket Punch coupled with a well-timed Hard Drive Hyper Combo that can be used for a final blow.
Once an opponent is knocked down, the downward hitting Rocket Punch can be used to "bounce" the grounded opponent. This leaves them vulnerable to yet more air combos, starting the Sentinel's cycle of destruction all over again.
- Gameinformer voted Sentinel one of the top ten fighting game characters due to how overpowered he is.
- In his reveal trailer for 3, Sentinel was paired up with Storm and Magneto, which could be referencing one of the most popular team-ups of Marvel vs. Capcom 2 due to how overpowered the trio was.
- Due to not having their own conscience, Sentinels can be classified as Neutral characters, since they loyally serve those who built them, regardless of their masters' alignment. But to their purpose of hunting down mutants, including the X-Men, they are also classified as Evil characters.
- Sentinel is one of four unlockable characters in Marvel vs. Capcom 3, along with Hsien-Ko, Akuma and Taskmaster. To unlock Sentinel, players must accumulate 4,000 Player Points, he is the second character unlocked after Akuma.
- Sentinel used to have the highest stamina/health/vitality of all the characters in MvC3 with 1,300,000. On March 22, he was nerfed, dropping his total health to 905,000.
- Sentinel seems to have mistaken Tron Bonne's Servbots as Sentinels who have been re-programmed and re-designed for her needs; it then seizes all Servbots and arrests Tron as Sentinel's post-match victory quote says "Target apprehended. Fraudulent Sentinel production halted."
- Funnily enough, in Tron's ending in Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Sentinel is programmed as Servbot #42.
- Along with Shadow, Sentinel's name is never mentioned in Marvel vs Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes.