Look out! Here comes the Spider-Man!Spider-Man
Spider-Man, real name Peter Benjamin Parker, is a superhero from the Marvel Comics. He was bitten by a radioactive spider, and gained superhuman abilities akin to a spider such as agility and keen senses. With his brilliance at physical science, he has also invented a web-shooter to aid in his crime-fighting activities.
Prior to being bitten by the radioactive spider, Peter Parker was a spineless, underwhelming, cowardly nerd who had unconditional respect for his Uncle Ben and Aunt May. Arrogant at first after receiving his spider powers, Peter obtained a heroic and self-sacrificing outlook on life after his Uncle Ben died at the hands of a criminal Peter could have stopped. With his uncle's words on "Great Power & Great Responsibility" in mind, Peter fights as Spider-Man for justice and peace. As Spider-Man (and later on Peter in general), he regularly cracks jokes about, and banters with, enemies and allies alike. He sees situations with as much confidence, and as light a heart, as possible, and as a thrill seeker, loves to play around and show off for the enjoyment of it. In spite of this, he has admitted that the witty banter also serves as a defense mechanism, as he fears for his life when going into battle, and talking helps distract him from his harrowing thoughts.
Despite being somewhat cocky and carefree, Spider-Man is very down to earth and mature. When facing particularly powerful or dangerous opponents, his humor and devil may care actions serve to mask any of his accompying doubts and fears. Spider-Man has a deep and abiding respect for both Captain America and Iron Man, both of them being huge role models in his life. This is part of why it was so hard for him to fight against Cap in the Civil War, and part of why he switched to Cap's team (since Peter hates to be on the wrong side of any law, he originally sided with Iron Man, but defected to Captain America's side when he realized the implications the Superhero Registration Act brought about, like the Prison 42 in the Negative Zone).
Spider-Man is also an adaptable super genius, allowing for his use of wit and smarts to overwhelm his opponents and gain advantages in battle. This also comically allows for his nerdy tendencies. Spider-Man will always lend a helping hand to anyone in dire need, despite being a wisecracking and sarcastic free spirit; he hates injustice and will take action against it at the slightest turn of events.
- Superhuman Strength: Having the proportional equivalent of a spider, Spider-Man lift objects as heavy as ten tons.
- Superhuman Speed & Agility: It is said that Spider-Man is one of the most agile superheroes. He can quickly out-speed the movements of his enemies in combat, even other superheroes. He can dodge a bullet even at point blank range.
- Superhuman Flexibility: Spider-Man's flexibility allows him to assume stunts and positions a human cannot. Due to his superhuman flexibility, Spider-Man's fighting style is very unconventional which is composed mostly of different acrobatic stunts. This unconventional fighting style makes Spider-Man very unpredictable in battle and combined with his superhuman agility and flexibility, makes him a very deadly opponent.
- Accelerated Healing Factor: Spider-Man can rapidly recover from injury higher than a normal human.
- Wall-Crawling: Ability to cling to any surface due to miniature gripping hairs on his hands and feet
- Spider-Sense: A tingling sensation which warns him or potential immediate danger. Combined with his superhuman kinesthetics, this allows Spider-Man to evade or counter any attacks or threats.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Able to dodge or counter any attack.
- Genius Intellect
- Web-Shooters: Invented by Peter Parker when he became Spider-Man. These are twin devices worn on wrists which are able to shoot "web fluid" at high pressure and speeds.
- Web Fluid: Strands emitted by Spider-Man's web shooters; also invented by Peter. These thin strands are very strong and sticky, like a spider's silk. Only Peter knows the exact formula in creating this material. Peter uses this web fluid to cross great distances (like a grappling hook), to grab things or opponents, and to create different things, like boxing gloves, or "web balls". The web fluid is considered as Spider-Man's signature weapon.
After saving the universe, Spider-Man returns to Mary Jane. She later announces that Spider-Man is going to be a father.
Sometimes after the convergence, Spider-Man already being a sworn ally to New Metro City Mayor Mike Haggar prior his sudden disappearance by an unknown kidnapper.
Spider-Man is called by Iron Man to back up Chris Redfield in his mission on infiltrate A.I.M.Brella to get the Mind Stone from the organization's leader M.O.D.O.K., despite Chris' refusal from Iron Man's worries about the former. He and Chris are joined by Frank West, who has been trailing not only Spider-Man, but also the disappearance of the bystanders kidnapped by the rumored kidnapper, thus finding out that A.I.M.Brella had their agents kidnapped their victims and transformed them into an army of Symbiote-infused B.O.W.. Thankfully, the three heroes found Haggar alive, but was mistaken by the mayor as his kidnappers, until Spider-Man calms him down while protecting Frank from being beaten badly by Haggar, thus the mayor regain his senses and ask why he is in A.I.M.Brella. However, just as Chris heard a conversation on A.I.M.Brella's main base, the heroes soon found out that A.I.M.Brella has been conspiring with the faction from another demonic dimension called Dark Kingdom led by a demon Jedah Dohma, who happens to be a possessor of Soul Stone in the same time. Though the Haggar and Chris manage to beat Nemesis and the rest of B.O.W. army, and Spider-Man got the Mind Stone from M.O.D.O.K., Frank West unable to destroy the portal device to the Dark Kingdom, as the device is powered from the said dimension, thus Jedah and his large ultimate Symbiote-infused abomination emerges from the portals, chasing both Spider-Man and his three allies.
As Chris ignores Spider-Man's advice to find any environments that can projects soundwaves, Chris accidently turns Spider-Man donning the symbiote suit upon shooting the large symbiote with the rocket launcher, causing the symbiote's liquid to splatter and hits Spider-Man while Chris dodged it. Due to the large symbiote is at Jedah's command, the brainwashed Spider-Man is forced fights against Haggar and Frank while Chris hold off the symbiote. Until Frank finds the empty cars nearby to project the sound alarms by smashing the car glasses with a baseball bat, freeing Spider-Man and weaken the symbiote, Chris task Spider-Man to take the Mind Stone to Avengers Tower quickly. While being chased by Jedah for the Mind Stone, he is later rescued Ghost Rider, Morrigan, & Dante. Iron Man, Nova, Captain Marvel, Hulk, and Nathan Spencer joins the fight against the symbiote, but were told along with Spider-Man and the rest of the heroes who fight the symbiote in the street to retreat back to Avengers Tower, just as the Gravitron Core containing the Sigma Virus gas about to fall .Despite Thanos' advice on be able to destroy the large symbiote with X, Zero and Iron wields both Mind, Power and Time Stones respectively, the heroes and Thanos are unable to stop the Sigma Virus from spreading across the globe with no escape, leaving the heroes have no other choice to destroy Ultron Sigma once and for all under advices from Doctor Thomas Light.
While Iron Man's group (consisting Zero, Ryu, Frank West and Gamora) and Thanos goes to Sigma's Lab to built an ultimate weapon to kill Ultron Sigma known as Infinity Buster, while Dante goes to Jedah and successfully get the Soul Stone from the Dark Messiah quickly, Spider-Man joins the other heroes for their final battle on Xgard. After entering Xgard's Throne Room where Ultron Sigma is, Spider-Man and Morrigan fought and defeated Thor Odinson (who was infected earlier by the Sigma Virus), telling Thor if he regain his sense, the heroes needs another Iron Man like Thor himself. As the heroes uses their efforts to fight Ultron Sigma very well, Dante had been arrived earlier and had been planning to trick the fused machine into using Soul Stone, due to the latter "are" lack of noble, causing the side-effect turned "them" into an abominable second form known as Ultron Omega. Just as Ultron Omega captures Dante and absorbs his life force as a revenge for tricking "them", Captain Marvel alerts Spider-Man to get the Soul Stone quickly, but Ultron Omega cuts Spider-Man's webbing. However, Thor regain his remaining consciousness left, despite being infected caught the Soul Stone and finally being cured completely, and aids X to rescue Dante. As Doctor Strange gets Iron Man's group in time after the Infinity Buster is completed, the heroes aids X by infusing their powers into the Infinity Buster, powered by the four Stones to destroy Ultron Omega for good, thus freeing the world from Sigma Virus. Yet, the two worlds are still in the converged state, due to the Reality Stone was cracked from the previous battle between Thanos and Ultron Sigma at Avengers Tower, rendering it useless and requires a long repair to restore two worlds into original states, or else more worlds will collide when being used in a cracked state. Thor thanks Spider-Man for rescuing him from Ultron Sigma's control but demands that he never call him "Iron Man" again. As each 2 of 6 Infinity Stones are protected on locations (Xgard, Earth and Dark Kingdom), and the heroes start to rebuild the converged world to wait for the Reality Stone to be repaired, Spider-Man ask why he and the surviving heroes began to rebuild the said world they are still in, as Ryu replies it is meant to honor the fallen.
Gameplay EditSpider-Man is a very mobile character. His low battle stance allows him to dodge attacks easily, with his crouching stance taking it up a notch. His combo potential is very high, allowing him to chain many moves to extend his attacks. His combos are fast, but generally require high execution, though the allocations in MVC2 somewhat mitigate this. Spider-Man can also triangle jump, as well as cling to the wall before leaping off. He can even air dash, though it only goes one direction.
Theme songs Edit
- Spider-Man has a secret costume in Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter, based on the 'Spider Armor' from Web of Spider-Man #100 (as well as the suit of armor worn by an alternate version of Spider-Man in the 1990s animated series) which, interestingly enough, was destroyed by the end of the issue.
- He also makes a quip in one of his victory quotes about Peter Porker, the Spider-Ham. "I'm pretty sure even the spectacular Spider-Ham could beat you."
- His win-quote against Firebrand in Ultimate is "You know, you look like the guy who ruined my marriage.", referencing Mephisto and serving as a reference to One More Day, where his marriage to his girlfriend was written out of continuity. This was referenced in issue 50 of Spider-Man/Deadpool.
- His Marvel vs. Capcom ending is similar to the Maximum Carnage ending, where Venom becomes a hero and Spider-Man photographs the two together for the Daily Bugle (if he is paired with Venom).
- Spider-Man's endings haven't shown any Capcom characters in any of the games except in Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes. In this game, he photographs himself and either Morrigan (in the arcade version) or Sakura (in the console versions) for the Daily Bugle. Another exception is Marvel vs. Capcom 1, where he takes a photograph with him teammate for the Daily Bugle, but the teammate can be a Capcom character if the player wants.
- Spider-Man was confirmed to be in Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds during the Tokyo Game Show 2010, along with Albert Wesker, Tron Bonne and X-23. He has however, received some controversy amongst fans due to his late confirmation for the game, as he was not in the initial lineup of Marvel characters announced. According to a Q&A session with the Japanese developers, Spider-Man was intentionally held off by Niitsuma until the Tokyo Game Show due to Spider-Man's popularity in Japan.
- Spider-Man's opening quotes reference the theme song to the old Spider-Man cartoon ("Look out! Here comes the Spider-Man") and another is a parody of his Uncle Ben's influential words before he was killed by the burglar: "With a great power, comes a great beatdown". The old Spider-Man cartoon's theme song is also referenced in one of his taunts : "Does what a spider can!"
- Spider-Man was revealed to the public alongside Wesker, whom he shares some similarities with: Both are extremely intelligent, and have somewhat similar super-powers obtained through infection.
- As of MvC:I, Spider-Man's death at the hands of Morlun in Spider-Verse #2 has been retconned.
- Spider-Man's new Level 3 super move in MVC:I is a reference to his battle with the Green Goblin from Sam Raimi's Spider-Man Movie (2002) in the burning building.