Unless you're a target of mine, you will never see me. If you see me, then it's already too late.Strider Hiryu
Strider Hiryu is a character from the Strider series by Capcom. He is one of the most skilled members of the Striders, an elite team of ninja mercenaries, and one of the world's most influential secret maneuvering groups, having existed since the feudal era of Japan.
Hiryu wears a Strider's traditional uniform. He has a long, red scarf wrapped around his mouth and extending to his back, almost looking like a cape. He wears a purple, sleeveless suit, with the shirt and pants separated by a large red sash and a loose-fitting metallic belt with several pouches. His ankles and wrists are wrapped in white cloth and he wears purple tabi shoes.
Strider Hiryu is silent and stoic. He rarely speaks, unless he has to, adding to his mysterious personality. Hiryu's main goal is to serve the Striders in protecting the world and seems to have few interests outside of that.
Strider Hiryu's skills are varied, but powerful:
- Possesses tonfa-sword of plasma energy, called "Cypher" (making him an expert at sword fighting, and unarmed fighting as well)
- Acrobatic skills (superhuman agility and speed, as well a climb sickle, which allows him to climb almost any type of wall)
- Ability to duplicate himself
- Summoning of robotic animals
Strider Hiryu teams up with Wolverine to take on Lady Deathstrike and the Reavers. Knowing full-well that she does not fight with honor, he summons his Legion of robots as well as a team of X-Men to fight her head-on.
88 days after the Convergence, Hiryu is amongst of the heroes who raid on Xgard, compromised by Ultron Sigma. As Doctor Strange discover that Ultron Sigma has imprisoned someone whom they defeat earlier, Hiryu is one of the three heroes besides Chun-Li and Rocket Raccoon who join a rescue ops led by Chris Redfield and Strange to find the prisoner who is very important to stop the fused robot, while the other heroes try to distract Ultron Sigma. The prisoner soon revealed to be Thanos, with Rocket protest and refused to co-operate with the Titan, fearing he'll might backstep the heroes soon, but without any options on behalf of Doctor Strange and Captain America's trust, the heroes needs Thanos' assistant under certain condition to make sure Thanos never betray the heroes from their backs. After transporting Thanos to Avengers Tower's special cell at New Metro City, the rescue ops team manage to save their fellow heroes in time who tried distract Ultron Sigma as they can, with Strider is last seen rescuing a weakened Thor Odinson from ended up being infected with a Sigma virus, then manage to escape back to the tower via Doctor Strange's magic portal. However, unaware to the heroes until they decide to release Thanos, Ultron Sigma had implanted a still in progress Sigma virus into Thor's body to be fully infected in process, but was too late due to a short argument between Captain America and Dante, and Iron Man and Chun-Li about releasing Thanos, at cost of Thor's time from being infected completely becoming smaller.
After Gamora and Nova return to confirm Grandmaster Meio's alliance with Ultron Sigma from their investigation, Hiryu, X, Captain Marvel and Rocket are dispatched to join Gamora and Nova to get the Power Stone under Thanos' tips at Knowmoon, where Meio plans to device an enhanced Gravitron Core to create an ultimate weapon. Hiryu and Gamora planning their own stealth mission to go near Meio, telling the other four heroes to create a diversion against one of Ultron Sigma and Meio's troops, including on rescuing their brainwashed ally Zero. During a stealth ops to clear out other enemies, Hiryu explains to Gamora who exactly Meio is, and with Gamora's help, she assures Hiryu that they will be able to kill Meio quickly, together. Hiryu and Gamora arrived in front of Meio and finally kill him with a combination ninja X-slash, and Hiryu thank Gamora for her debt. Unfortunately, even after they got the Power Stone, they are too late to realize that the Gravitron Core is actually a bombing weapon itself, enhanced with Sigma virus gas to spread the infection on Earth, and initially activated by itself. Much worst, Hiryu and his team are unable to stop the Sigma virus bomb from falling, and was ordered by both Captain America and Iron Man to retreat to Earth, as they are also having a situation to handle Jedah Dohma's large symbiote as well. As Thanos have an idea to stop the large symbiote and the Sigma virus bomb, all heroes are gathering back to the tower to use both Time, Mind and Power Stones to destroy them. However, despite the heroes manage to destroy the symbiote, they cannot stop the virus gas from spreading.
Due to the critical situation the heroes are in since most of them are infected with Sigma virus, Doctor Light's last advice is to destroy Ultron Sigma once and for all. With Iron Man and Thanos goes to Sigma's abandoned lab with their team to create the Infinity Buster to destroy Ultron Sigma, while Dante goes after Soul Stone from Jedah's hand, Hiryu goes with the other heroes for their last raid on Xgard. After Morrigan and Spider-Man take down an infected Thor, Hiryu and Captain America fights Ultron Sigma. Despite manage to best the fused robot, Ultron Sigma manage to recover quickly. Hiryu and his fellow heroes is soon betrayed by Dante, who gave up the Soul Stone to Ultron Sigma earlier. However, it is actually Dante's set up to trick Ultron Sigma using the Soul Stone, hurting themselves even more, as Jedah mentioned to Dante earlier that the true power of the Soul Stone will not affect to those who have no noblest soul like that fused robot. Eventually the Soul Stone has a side-effect not only negate the Sigma virus and turned them unstable, but also transform fused robot into a monstrous Ultron Omega. As Iron Man's team arrived in time via Doctor Strange's portal, bout wthout Thanos due to certain incident, Hiryu and the other heroes, including a now cured Thor helps X to use their spirits to destroy Ultron Omega for good.
Although Ultron and Sigma are finally destroyed, the Convergence is still intact, as the Reality Stone was cracked from the previous battle between Thanos and Ultron Sigma back in Avengers Tower, leaving 2 of 6 stones are under safekeeping on Earth, Xgard and Dark Kingdom respectively. Hiryu soon returns to Strider headquarter afterwards to rebuild the new society on the Converged world.
Strider Hiryu is one of the fastest, dangerous & versatile characters in the Marvel vs. series. He has many different projectiles that he can rapid fire, but they have low durability so he looses to many other zoning attacks. His great mobility and melee attacks make him a very effective cross-up Rushdown character, though what he lacks in mixup (due to no grounded overheads) is made up for with strong and amazing pressure with his projectiles, and mind games with his teleports.
Theme songs Edit
- Hiryu's ending in the original Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes is almost a straight copy of his ending in the original Strider.
- Hiryu was one of the first four characters to be confirmed for Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, alongside Ghost Rider, Firebrand, and Hawkeye.
- Hiryu was originally said to have been kept out of the original Marvel vs. Capcom 3 due to legal troubles with his manga company, despite the massive fan demand for him. Nitsuma said that because of the fan demand, they decided to work something out with his manga company.
- Strider Hiryu's rival is Hawkeye, as both are highly acrobatic warriors with an array of weapons. Hiryu has mechanical animals and ninja weapons that he uses in combat, and Hawkeye has a large amount of different arrows that affect the enemy in numerous ways. Furthermore, both had already mastered their basic fighting style at a young age, with Hiryu being the youngest Strider to reach Special A-Class, and Hawkeye learning his archery skills as a child working at a circus. Also, their personalities contrast greatly: Hiryu is quiet and stoic, while Hawkeye is loud and brash.
- Strider Hiryu's death animation is a reference to his own game series, in that he explodes and four energy waves depart from where he once laid. Mega Man, Roll, and Zero also share a similar reference with their death animations.
- Originally, Hiryu's Wall Cling special, when used in conjunction with Morrigan's Astral Vision hyper combo, would cause a glitch which could result in Morrigan moving off screen and even a position glitch wherein one team's players would be facing the camera and could walk into it though they would snap back into place when letting go of the D-Pad. The glitch has since been removed.