War Machine, real name James Rupert "Rhodey" Rhodes, is a character from the Marvel. He is the pilot and chief aviation engineer of Iron Man's Stark Industries. He donned the before receiving his own identity with the .series by
Rhodes' powers are derived from his War Machine Armor.
- Superhuman Strength: He is capable of lifting between 85-100 tons when wearing his armor.
- Superhuman Speed: Even when not traveling for extended distances, the armor enables the wearer to move and react at high speeds.
- Enhanced Durability: His armor is very durable, capable of withstanding tremendous amounts of punishment. It can withstand high caliber bullets with ease. He can also withstand rockets, torpedoes, and such, although he does take damage.
- Flight: The armor can fly and travel at supersonic speeds.
- Power Cells: The armor is powered by a combination of solar converters, electrical batteries and an on-board generator that uses beta particle absorption as a fuel source.
- Energy Conversion Power Recharge: The armor is also able to convert nearby energy sources, such as heat or kinetic energy into electricity, or even drain electrical energy directly into the batteries for recharge.
- Self-Contained Life-Support System & Environmental Protection: The armor can be completely sealed for operations in vacuum or underwater, providing its own life support, and is shielded against radiation.
- Repulsor Rays: The armor can fire particle beams from either or both the palm gauntlets which can repel physical and energy-based attacks, traveling as a single stream or as a wide-field dispersal.
- Unibeam: A powerful searchlight capable of projecting beams in virtually every light spectrum.
War Machine's gameplay is often based and derived from Iron Man. In Marvel vs. Capcom he plays almost exactly like Iron Man does in Marvel Super Heroes, with some changes and more animations. In Marvel vs. Capcom 2, since Iron Man is once again part of the playable roster, War Machine's gameplay has changed a bit. He now fires missiles instead of energy with his Shoulder Cannon (Same happens with his Proton Cannon). To make it more different, War Machine is considered a power-based fighter since Iron Man can perform better air combos longer compared to his air combos that actually fall short.
- Laser Shot: War Machine kneels and fires a laser from a shoulder mounted gun. He shoots a missile back in Marvel vs. Capcom.
- High Shoulder Cannon: Fires missiles at the opponent. Light Version shoots three missiles with fast motion. Hard version fires five missiles but a bit slow start. (Can also be done in the air)
- Low Shoulder Cannon: Same as the Shoulder Cannon but does the move in a crouching pose.
- Repulsor Blast: Creates a laser ball that shoots out mutiple beams in different directions.
- Smart Bombs: Releases multiple bombs from the shoulder. Has a arcing motion. (Can also be used in the air)
- Flight: Gives War Machine the ability to fly for a period of time. (Can also be used in the air)
|α||Projectile||Shoulder Cannon||Shoulder Cannon||Proton Cannon|
|β||Anti-Air||Repulsor Blast||Repulsor Blast||War Destroyer|
|γ||Variety||Smart Bomb||Smart Bomb||War Destroyer|
- Proton Cannon (Level 1): War Machine summons a gigantic shoulder-mounted cannon and shoots out a powerful laser cannon. In Marvel vs. Capcom 2, it is replaced by rapid firing missiles.
- War Destroyer (Level 1): Added since Marvel vs. Capcom, he shoots multiple rockets towards the sky then eventually falling down towards the opponent wherever it goes.
- War Machine's moves in Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes
- War Machine's moves in Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes