The Winter Soldier, real name James Barnes, is a character from the Captain America series by Marvel. He was a WWII veteran and the childhood friend of Captain America. He was put into cryostasis and was brainwashed by the Soviets into the deadly assassin Winter Soldier.
Winter Soldier is primarily a zoning based fighter, using a variety of weapons to keep his opponent at bay. The Winter Soldier can use his metal arm to shield him from other attacks, including other Hyper Combos such as Nova's Gravimetric Blaster.
- If Captain America is his partner, then both characters can perform the Level 3 "Unyielding Justice" Hyper Combo in unison, an Easter Egg which presents the bond between Bucky and Steve.
- This Hyper Combo mechanic was originally featured in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, in which a few characters (such as Batsu and Joe the Condor) perform Hyper Combos which enable their partner to attack alongside them.
- A similar mechanic was also seen in X-Men vs. Street Fighter and Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter, where Ryu and Ken could perform a Double Shinku Hadoken if they were chosen as a team.
- This is also the first team-up Hyper Combo to be featured as part of the Dec. 5 patch for Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite.
- In Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite, if Winter Soldier is about to fight Spider-Man, Spider-Man will say "Is that a cybernetic arm?" This is a possible reference to when Bucky and Spidey first met each other in Captain America: Civil War.